Friday, July 14, 2006

Meditation With Bishop Fulton Sheen IV



"To have the courage to look into ourselves is the beginning of a dialogue that takes place between the mask and the face, the shadow self and the real self. Once this dialogue has been achieved honestly, then there opens another dialogue: that of the soul with God...We cannot have communications with heaven until we have communications with ourselves."

Bishop Fulton Sheen
***************

Reflection

To a certain extent we all wear masks. Some of us wish to be perceived as 'nice and charming' while others long to be admired for their 'strength of character' and still more long to be congratulated for their 'intelligence and toughness' there are very few who can truly see themselves with a ruthless eye. We do not wish to recognise the fact that we are vulnerable and open to hurt and that the opinion of others does matter to each of us. Very few can view themselves with the objectiveness that is needed in order to be fully whole to ourselves and to each other. It takes a ruthless honesty and a savage courage that can stare at our own weaknesses and vulnerabilities and also our potential to sin and harm others as well as ourselves. Until we can do this we will remain disconnected from ourselves and those we love and remain in emotional isolation. It is only through God that we are transformed into little 'Christ's' and it is only through God that we become the promise of who we were meant to be.
***************


Meditation

Galatians Chapter 2:19-20

For through the law I died to the law, that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ; yet I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me; insofar as I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who has loved me and given himself up for me.
***************

Source

'Simple Truths' by Bishop Fulton Sheen

Peace of Christ to you ALL

Copyright © 2006 Marie Smith. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment